Welcome to East Para’s Pedal Prix Program
What is Pedal Prix all about?
Pedal Prix is a recumbent trike riding race that is held at several racetracks in South Australia each year. The recumbent trike has three wheels, two at the front, one at the back that work like a normal pedal bike with brakes and the ability to turn left and right.
The big difference between a normal pedal bike is you are laying down as you ride. The Pedal Prix trike has a racing harness seating belt that all riders must wear along with a standard push bike helmet.
Our Pedal Prix Program Aims to:
Our Pedal Prix program aims to:
- Encourage children to adopt a healthy, active lifestyle
- Develop school pride
- Encourage parental involvement in the school and develop healthy relationships between teachers, students and parents
- Provide an exciting and fun way to learn a range of new skills
- Provide an opportunity for students to represent their school in a fun event
- Bring practical relevance to the curriculum for many students.
- Unite differing learning areas in their efforts to achieve a common goal
- Encourage and reward positive behaviour in students.
The Pedal Prix Program
There are two student roles within the team:
- A student rider (this role students ride the pedal prix trike on practise days and race days).
- A team support student (this role students assist the team in monitoring of students rider trainings, promote the team using our school newsletter and website, and on ‘ride days’ time keeper and event assistance).
Trainings at East Para
We hold an hour training session once a week each Friday. At these training sessions the team meets to learn the skills required to be a confident and successful rider or team support student.
If you have any questions about the program, or would like to sponsor the team, please email at email@example.com
History of the Program
East Para began its Pedal Prix team in 2009. The first years saw ‘hand built trikes’ by the school groundmen. With more resources and student involvement, the program took off. The school won its first race in 2016 and two more races that year to take the overall Series in 2016. Success continued as East Para won the 2017 season.
After four years off, the program was revived by Mr Waller (the school PE teacher) with the support of the schools new leadership group. In the second half of 2022, the 22-student team participated in 3 practise days and the Velodrome Experience Race, with one of our Year 6 students winning the Division Three event.
2023 got off to a flying start with the school participating in another Velodrom Race, this time an EPPS Year 5 rider won the Division Two event. The school participated in the Victoria Park Race, placing 8th in the Primary School Category. In August the team rode in the schools first ever ‘The Bend Pedal Prix Race’, finishing 14th in the Primary School Category. In 2024 we have 40 students involved in the Pedal Prix Program!!! Our biggest team in the programs history!!