This acronym stands for South Australian Curriculum, Standards and Accountability Book.
This framework is used by teachers to plan learning programs and to assess children's learning providing a common curriculum across all sites.
There are eight curriculum areas:
- Design and Technology
- Health & Physical Education
- Languages (at Epps this is Indonesian)
- Society & the Environment
Standards are used as a way of recording student learning:
- Standard 1 is to be achieved by the end of Year 2
- Standard 2 is to be achieved by the end of Year 4
- Standard 3 is to be achieved by the end of Year 6
- Standard 4 is to be achieved by the end of Year 8
Not all children learn at the same rate, you have only to think about when young children say their first word, crawl, stand up and begin to write to be aware of this.
Thus children will work across strands and there will most likely be various across curriculum areas. Learning is not linear.
2006 sees the introduction of a common state wide reporting system using the 'strands' to rate children as A, B. C, D, E in all curriculum areas.